The Robert Jones & Agnes Hunt Hospital Coat of Arms
Our Hospital Coat of Arms is presented on a wooden shield with the wording “Deo Dante Damus” which translates to “God gives to us that we may give unto others”
The Hospital Coat of Arms
The coat of arms of the Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital was granted by
the College of Heralds on 2 December 1944. It depicts the origins of the hospital through
heraldry. The original citation is written in heraldic language, but in plain English this may be
described as follows:
“On one half of the shield a golden dragon rampant on a background of ermine, and on the
other half a saltire cross divided half silver and black. The top third of the shield is in red with
the leopard’s face in gold between two sprigs of self-heal.”
The golden Welsh dragon is taken from the arms of Sir Robert Jones, and the saltire cross is
taken from the armorial bearings of Dame Agnes Hunt’s family. The leopard’s face in the
centre at the top of the shield represents Shropshire, and is taken from the county coat of
arms. There has been some speculation about the botanical nature of the plant self-heal,
which is shown on both shield and the crest surrounding the coat of arms. In colouring and
leaf, the heraldic herb is similar to prunella vulgaris, a Shropshire wayside plant, which has
the old country name of “knit-bone”. From medieval times, this herb was used as a poultice
for sprains and bruises.
The Latin motto inscribed on the coat of arms, “Deo Dante Damus”, can be translated as
“God gives to us that we may give unto others” and reflects the ideals of the hospital’s
founders and their successors through the years.
A large representation of the coat of arms is set into the floor of the Outpatients reception
area, and another one similarly at the east end of the hospital corridor.